Friday, November 9, 2012
Human Rights News from MaryLovesJustice Emails
Human rights news from Mary Neal's inbox at MaryLovesJustice@gmail.com
Please read and share the nine(9) reports below (thirteen(13) URLs):
1. NDAA Concentration Camps: As presidential election returns rolled in Tuesday night, the U.S. Justice Department filed its opening brief defending a controversial military detention provision that a trial judge in Manhattan declared unconstitutional earlier this year. The suit, filed in Manhattan federal district court by a group of journalists and activists, challenges a section of the National Defense Authorization Act that DOJ lawyers said reaffirms presidential detention authority under the Authorization for Use of Military Force, or AUMF. http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2012/11/doj-defends-controversial-military-detention-provision-.html Happy Veterans Day - November 11, 2012. Thanks for 'saving our freedom.'
2. ANOTHER black mental patient was killed - this one in an Oklahoma jail without food or water http://solitarywatch.com/2012/11/05/mentally-ill-man-dies-injured-and-alone-in-a-tulsa-jail-cell/
In a horrific story out of Oklahoma, lawyers representing the estate of a prisoner who was found dead in the Tulsa Jail have sued the local sheriff’s office and the jail’s private health care provider. Elliott Earl Williams, 37, was pronounced dead in his cell at 11:21 a.m. Oct. 27, 2011, after allegedly going days without food and water
3. Net freedom, anyone? It’s of deep concern that a conference on internet freedom (the Internet Governance Forum (IGF), a United Nations initiative) is being held in one of the world’s most tawdry dictatorships. Azerbaijan is a country with a track record of persecuting internet activists, such as bloggers Emin Milli and Adnan Hajizada. Elnur Majidli, a Strasbourg-based blogger and internet activist, was threatened with a 12 year jail sentence for "inciting hatred" after setting up Facebook groups that facilitated rare public protests in Azerbaijan during 2011. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/azerbaijan/9658427/Why-is-a-crucial-conference-on-internet-freedom-taking-place-in-a-dictatorship.html
4. New York's mayor bans food donations to homeless shelters
Mayor Michael Bloomberg instituted a ban on food donations to homeless shelters. No, not because of food contamination, but because the city can’t properly assess salt, fat and fiber in donated food.
5. Social Cleansing' in Mexican Cities: Homeless People and Panhandlers Targeted by Police
Non-governmental organizations in Mexico are presenting a complaint on November 2 before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights about government mistreatment and “social cleansing” of thousands of people living on the street in several of the country’s cities. Activists say the removal of homeless and poor people to places outside city limits violates their human rights. [Homeless people and panhandlers are frequently arrested and sometimes killed in the United States, especially the mentally ill.]
6. Cynthia McKinney will speak on "Empire," a post-election show on Al Jazeera English. America has elected a president and chosen a vision for leadership at home and around the world. Our guests will provide thoughtful analysis of what we can expect in the future as President Obama serves his second term. We will take a closer look at one of the fundamental polarizing forces of American politics: big government versus small government. How far can the President go to implement his agenda? And Empire will examine American leadership in an ever changing multi-polar world, and ask what image will America project in the next four years? The show will also be posted in its entirety on the website http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/empire/
7. Black Autonomy Copwatch continues the ongoing fight against police murder and brutality in Memphis. We will meet this coming Saturday, Nov. 10, 3 p.m.-5 p.m., Conference Room, Whitehaven Public Library, 4120 Millbranch Road (at the corner of Raines Road). If you know someone whose family member or friend has been harassed, beaten, or killed by a Memphis police officer, spread the word. Contact JoNina Ervin, Acting Chair, Memphis Black Autonomy Federation (901) 674-8430. That includes my family, regarding the secret arrest and wrongful death of Larry Neal, the government murder of a black mentally ill heart patient http://WrongfulDeathOfLarryNeal.com
8. Rev. Pinkney: Picket the NAACP Image Awards! Rev. Edward Pinkney, director of BANCO Organization, has announced an immediate boycott of all Whirlpool products. He is also organizing a protest against the NAACP Image Awards in Hollywood, California on February 1, 2013, and urges NAACP members to burn their membership cards every Sunday. See a press release at this link http://marylovesjustice.blogspot.com/2012/11/rev-pinkney-picket-naacp-image-awards.html
9. Bill Windsor, producer of "Lawless America - The Movie," is currently filming in Alabama. He is traveling to every state to interview whistleblowers regarding government and judicial corruption. People who miss the opportunity to interview in person can interview via Internet throughout the month of December. ITINERARY* FOR "LAWLESS AMERICA - THE MOVIE" (9/2012)
*Please check the LawlessAmerica.com website for updates.
Thank you, friends, for helping to keep us informed about human rights news through your emails to MaryLovesJustice at MaryLovesJustice@gmail.com ! I am censored, but some emails get through. Call me at 678.531.0262, also. If they play a lying recording saying the phone is out of service, please let me know somehow. Test your First Amendment rights. Try to comment on this article.
As director of Assistance to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill, my advocacy is for mandated mental health treatment for persons exiting jails and mental hospitals and subsistence assistance through AOT programs. I recommend that mentally ill persons start or continue psychiatric treatment to avoid crises. Many people oppose psychiatric medications to their own harm. However, there are abuses. Dr. Randy Short asked that I share the following videos with my readers.
[11/9/12 5:32:41 PM] randy short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
[11/9/12 5:34:56 PM] randy short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
[11/9/12 5:36:46 PM] randy short: http://www.youtube.com/watch?