With more Black men in jails and prisons than colleges and universities, it is time for the Black Male Achievement Movement to get to work! The efforts of Michelle Alexander and her book, "The New Jim Crow," are stimulating a social justice movement in 119 cities with reading groups, praying warriors and action teams. It is time for good men and women to get to work!
- Mentor youth in juvenile detention facilities
- Visit incarcerants in prisons and jails (men and women)
- Work to get records expunged for the formerly incarcerated
- Welcome returning citizens (from prison) back to your community
- Help returning citizens get jobs
- Council first-time offenders so that they remain crime free
- Speak to youth in schools about not becoming part of the criminal justice system
- Become a court watcher to ensure that Black men and boys are treated fairly by the criminal justice process
- Write a letter to a jail or prison encouraging men and women who are incarcerated to keep their spirits high
"Much like a great explorer, Michelle Alexander has discovered another America - a bizarro world where prejudice and discrimination have replaced truth and justice. An America that is as intent on destroying young Black men as it is at proclaiming its passion for freedom and fairness. Even some of the most conscious and best-intentioned Americans can't see The New Jim Crow and their roles in supporting it. Michelle Alexander holds a mirror up to America and reveals a monster!" ~Phillip Jackson, The Black Star Project
Click NJCevents@gmail.com to discuss bringing Michelle Alexander to your city.
Many of the cities below that participated in our national mentoring initiative are being asked to participate in this direct action, social justice campaign designed to reduce the number of Black men, women and children locked up in detention centers, youth facilities, jails and prisons in the United States.
I CONGRATULATE THE ORGANIZERS OF THIS PROGRAM TO FIGHT "THE NEW JIM CROW." LET'S GET AMERICA OUT OF JAIL AND ELIMINATE HIGH RECIDIVISM NUMBERS. IF WE WORK TOGETHER, WE CAN RESIST OPPRESSION AND MAKE THIS A LAND OF LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! PROOF IS IN THE HOLY BIBLE AT GENESIS 6:11, WHICH STATES:
BEHOLD, THE PEOPLES IS ONE AND THEY SPEAK ONE LANGUAGE, AND THIS THEY DETERMINED TO DO. NOW NOTHING CAN BE WITHHELD FROM THEM WHICH THEY DECIDE TO DO.
UNITED IN PURPOSE, WE CAN HAVE WHATEVER WE WANT, EVEN REAL DEMOCRACY!
Blessings from Mary Neal, Director of Assistance to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill (AIMI) at http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/aimi - justice advocate for disabled and disenfranchised people of all races, religions, and ethnecities. Visit my profile at http://www.google.com/profile/marylovesjustice - Jesus said, "Love one another as I have loved you." DOWN with prison profiteering. UP with love and united action for liberty and justice for ALL.